Saturday, December 04, 2010

Prenancy Life So Far...

If you hadn't heard Jon and I are having a baby! Our due date is May 15th, and we are very excited. I haven't posted in a while, mainly because I have been exhausted most of the time and not feeling like doing anything. I am lucky if I get something in our bellies, that looks like a normal dinner, Jon has been very kind to not mind if I ask if we can get take out instead of cooking. Blogging is the last thing on my mind, I must say!

The first trimester was rough, I felt sea-sick most of the time, but my naturopath gave me the okay to eat things I crave even if I have an intolerance to them. So,I have been enjoying eggs, milk, cheese, and bread again, without too many problems, which also helped with the nausea. I guess the baby and I need what those foods have to offer, more than the problems they have caused before.

I was eating a lot of breakfast sandwiches and tea instead of coffee, until the old breakfast sandwich wasn't staying down anymore. I went back to eating gluten-free pancakes for awhile, and smoothies from Jamba Juice. I thought that I was done with the morning sickness, but a couple of days after I was eating my pancakes and eggs and complained to Jon that my stomach wasn't feeling good. It was about an hour later everything came up and I just went back to bed. It turned out that I had gotten the stomach flu and couldn't keep anything down for over 24 hours. The next morning I called our mid-wife practice (yes, we are going with a mid-wife instead of a doctor, but more on that later). Heather, the Mid-wife on-call answered and I told her what had been going on. I was worried about our baby more than anything. Heather told us we could either go to the ER to get an IV or meet her at the practice in an hour. We decided to go with the second option. Heather let us lay on one of the queen size birthing beds, as she gave me two bags of IV fluids. During that time we got to hear the baby's heartbeat again and it sounded perfect. Heather said, "It's amazing how well protected they are in there?" I felt a huge sense of relief after that and I felt a whole lot better after the IV's were done. By the next day I feeling almost like myself again. I was so grateful for Heather and for her helping us bypass the ER visit. It would have been a lot more expensive and time consuming having to go that route. This is one of the reasons we decided to go with a Mid-wife instead.

Being pregnant is an amazing thing. I am in awe of how we are able to create new life and how our bodies naturally grow and change to take on this life. I will try to post more now that I am out of the sickness and tired zombie phase!

No comments: