Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nesting: Part 1- Baby Registry = Panic!



Nesting is a funny time in pregnancy. I am motivated more than I have been in the last 6 months, but it has also come with some anxiety too. I don't know what I need or want for the baby and have felt at times it would be easier if I knew the sex of the baby or even meet the baby before I start registering for things. I would also like to see what I need as we go along, because I think the stores try to sell you on things that you might need, but probably can live with out. I have been thinking about what did people do before the big baby stores came along. My guess is people had less stuff and maybe a few more inconveniences, but their babies grew to be adults just fine. The other thing that I have struggled with is not finding anything that I really like. I don't want a lot of plastic crap that is made in China, which is in most of the big stores out there, it makes me cringe when I see it, especially brands like Graco and Carter's. I am sorry if you like them, that is fine I'm not saying other people can't, but I just don't! I don't think they have any great design aesthetics and the matchy-matchy, soft colors, poor quality, and the price tag attached to them are the main things that bother me about them. I am probably weird, I know that already, but I just cannot pull myself to register for stuff that I hate! So, I decided I should try to find somewhere else to register.

I decided to delete my first registry and start over at Amazon.com. Here is why, they have everything you could possible want for your baby and they also have this amazing button, which lets you add things you love from other websites to your registry. Amazing! I have stuff from Amazon.com, Target, Babies are Us, Tottini, Baby Gap, Blabla, and others on my registry and it's all stuff that I love and am excited about! The other amazing thing about Amazon.com is right now you can join Amazon Mom for free and they give you many discounts on baby stuff, but they also give you free two day shipping (also known as Prime shipping) on all of Amazon.com for joining. This comes in handy when you are shopping for the holidays, for gifts, grocery items, books, and well just about anything. I have become addicted! Sometime I don't want to go out shopping or when I am out of something like prenatal vitamins, I buy it on Amazon.com and I get it two days later delivered to my doorstep shipped for free! It's going to be even more handy after the baby comes. Anyway, all of this to say this is where I decided to register and I am excited about it! I also have made a registry at Target, for all of the people who want to go into a store and pick something out or are not comfortable shopping online. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the selection at the Target store by my house, but they actually have a lot more stuff online that I love, like Dwell Studio for Target, bedding, bibs, and clothes.

The other thing I have been doing in my nesting phase is shopping on Craigslist, Ebay, and Etsy for items that I really want for our baby, but cannot afford to buy new and would rather buy used anyway. So far I have bought our Peg Perego stroller and travel system in Orange for $50 from someone on Craigslist and our high chair, baby bouncer , baby bath, and baby seat off of ebay all for 50-75% less than what they normally retail at. I started to buy some of this really early on in the pregnancy, because I knew I wanted these items and kept my out for them on Ebay and Craigslist. It has worked out really well and I am excited to use them when our baby comes!

I am still not sure if I have everything on my registry that I need to have, if you think I have missed something or have suggestions of must haves please leave me a comment! If it's Graco or Crater's brand I may have to pass, but promise I will try consider all suggestions openly!

No comments: