Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Distractions & The Christmas Miracle!

I checked my bag for my phone last night as I was leaving my Sister-in-law's house with Zoe. It was in the front pouch. I told her Jon makes fun of me for not keeping track of my stuff better. I tell him it's because I am trying to keep track of Zoe and I haven't lost her yet! The truth is I have never been good at keeping track of my things. Ask me about the time I lost my wallet on the CTA in Chicago or the time I came out of Trader Joe's after shopping there to find my phone on the roof of my car!  But, really I think it has gotten worse now that I am totally distracted with a toddler.

After I found my phone, I loaded up Zoe in the car and my Sister-in law and I chatted a little longer. Then we left and drove home. Zoe fell asleep in the car on the way home, I tried to transport her into the house without waking her up. I was unsuccessful and rocked her like we normally do and fed her some more milk. I put her to bed and went to the kitchen and looked for my phone. I looked in my bag, on the table, in all of the usual places. No luck. I went out to the car did a quick search. Not there. Went back inside looked deeper in the bag, dumped everything out, looked in the rooms I didn't remember going into just in case I went in there, not there either. I thought it might be in Zoe's room. I crept in there hoping to not wake her up, it was not there either. She was out completely. I went back the car with a flash light and looked everywhere. It was not there. Jon was not home, so I couldn't have him call it like I normally would. I went back in and looked some more. It was not there. I remembered I had bought an App for my phone called "Find iPhone", because I do know myself and thought this could come in handy someday. I had to update it first. I tried to message my phone from my iPad while it was updating. No sound was made in the house. Finally I signed in on the App and it started searching. It showed me that my phone was here:


This is the on-ramp for the freeway that we got onto go home tonight! Fifteen miles away! S!@#!! Now what? I decided I had to wake up Zoe and go get Jon to help me. I knew I could not do this alone and it would be better if we went now while there was no traffic and no one else could see it. I got Zoe and loaded her in the car and she cried most of the way over to Jon's friend's house. She was happy to see Jon and smiled lots! Luckily Jon was just getting ready to leave when we got there, so he parked his car again and got in with us. We headed off and made a plan of attack. I didn't know what the range of the App was. So, we decided to search the whole on-ramp. I turned on the four-way flashers and drove slow down the on-ramp. We pulled over close to where it was shown on the App. Jon got out and walked the side of the road and called my phone and listened for it. He got back in and we check the App again. It showed it was just after the overpass. The problem was it was darker and narrower down there and cars were passing us at a high speed to get on the freeway. We stayed over as best as we could and went under the overpass and Jon started calling it again. Then he yelled, "There it is!" He got out and grabbed it and quickly got back in. Jon handed it to me it looked like this:
 

The case I had on it was completely knocked off and on the road destroyed, the glass on the back was broken, but then I turned it over and shouted, "IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!" It looked like this: 

  

Amazing! Not only was it amazing that we found it, but that the front was completely fine and the phone is fully functioning, camera working, and back in my hands! We were totally surprised with how this turned out and how accurate the App was! I want to write a review for the App now, because if I had not gotten it I am sure we would have never found my phone. I learned a lesson tonight. I will try keep better track of my things and I ordered a new case that is not black, so that I can see it better! It will be here tomorrow.

Do you have trouble keeping track of things?

2 comments:

Ali Winter said...

THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I used this app once too and loved it. I found my phone in some crazy slit in my the bottom of my couch in the fluff and springs. I would have never found it otherwise cause I had no clue this secret hole in the deep part of my couch existed and my phone was on silent. I love how the app makes it ring!!!

Yay!!

Lisa Lewton said...

best story EVER! how often i have seen you do the "bag dump" i cannot tell you becuase i think it was every day that i have known you! that app is truly a christmas miracle! you should submit to apple and see if they'll award you a prize. you should get a prize.