Wednesday, May 12, 2010

8 steps on: How to plan a wedding in 8 weeks!

1. Pick a date. See if the most important guests can make the date. If most people are free stick to that date.

2. Pick a place to get married that is flexible. We are getting married on the ferry boat in Seattle, there are multiple times everyday what we could get married. There are also parks or the beach that allow weddings, which are inexpensive and beautiful. We liked the ferry because it's where had our second first date, but it's beautiful, unique, fun, and comes with seating!

3. Know people who are pastors, photographers, event planners and caterers, and cake decorators and hire them! I am lucky enough to be friends with, related to or soon will be related to people in all of these types of fields!

4. You do not have to buy a dress or suit 3 months before your wedding. I bought a wedding dress off of the rack at a bridal shop and saved 65% off of the original price. If you need it altered it might take more time, but I was lucky to find one that didn't need altered. It was also the only one that was not 2 inches too short for me. Apparently they make dresses for women 5'9" and under, not 5'11"!

5. Skip the wedding planner, wedding party, and buy a notepad! Start a to-do list on the note pad and keep focused on checking things off. The check off is a reward we both look forward to and it has kept us both sane.

6. Keep it true to who you both are. Our style is usually different than the taste of others and other people will tell you what you should or should not do, based off of their own personal tastes. Stick to what you want, but be open to suggestions.

7. Be creative, my mom told me this more often than not when I was growing up. I have sewed table clothes and table runners, become best friends with Goodwill, Michael's (and their 40% off coupons), Paper Zone, and the dollar store.

8. Be fCheck Spellinglexible and keep it simple. There was no major thing I had to have for our wedding...no wait that's not true, I had to have a photographer! But, the main thing is I am just excited about marrying Jon and starting our life together. I want my family and close friends there and I don't want it to cost a fortune. I want it to be memorable and fun and about Jon and I. We have have had to say no, that's not what we want to have or that's too much a lot, and put priority on things that speak to who we are not the industry standards. There will be stress, there will be people who are offended for one reason or another, but in the end it will come together!

1 comment:

Meg said...

It was so much fun and I love your style! Everything beautiful and creative. Love you guys! You pulled off a wedding that looked like it took WAY MORE TIME than 8 weeks :)