Sunday, April 17, 2011

Week 36: Stay Inside Baby, It's Not Safe Out Here!

It has been a crazy month and a half since I last wrote! We had been had been going about life as we knew it, pregnancy was and still is progressing fine. We were making preparations for the baby's arrival. We bought my Dad's Volvo station wagon from him for to have a car with a backseat and that would be adequate to drive our baby in.  All was going along normal, until one afternoon Jon came home from work and told me he had been laid off from work, because they didn't have enough work for him.  I think this could have been very stressful for us, but I believe the Lord's hand is it and there are reasons beyond what we can understand at times guiding us. I told Jon I was excited, when I think he thought I would be disappointed. I think the timing of this couldn't have been worse, which to me speaks to something bigger is going on. We are looking into opportunities for Jon for school and work, but we are not rushing it either. We are enjoying being together more and having quiet time together before our world changes! Our finances are tight right now, especially having to pay taxes this week, but God is good and provided for our needs. We have gas in our cars and food on our table, a roof over our heads, and each other. We are very blessed!

It seems the saying "When is rains, it pours," is true in this period of our life. We bought the co-sleeper for the baby to sleep in and put it together. I wanted to clean our room thoroughly before we put it next to our bed, so I had Jon help me move the mattresses.  It was after this we found out we had a huge problem with mold coming through our walls through the paint behind our headboard. There is also mold on windows. It was almost enough to break both of us down. We weren't sure what to do, we were mostly frustrated and we were scared for our health and safety. We can't afford to move, we don't really want to move right now, but we do want to have a safe house for us to live in. We called our landlord and had him come and take a look at it. He wasn't sure what to do about it either, and then brought his handyman over to take a look at it too. They came up with the idea to replace the windows in the bedrooms and open up the wall to remove the problem areas, but in three weeks and I had five weeks left until the due date. This is a problem! We have been sleeping on the mattresses in our living room and our house is in a state of major disarray! I have a strong need for organization and things to be ready for the baby to come and this is a major obstacle to this happening. Things are not ideal right now, and I have been telling the baby to stay inside until they can finish the work in the house! The latest news from our landlord this week is, they will be going in from the outside to not cause a lot of dust and work inside the house. I am not sure when this will happen, but it is good to know our landlord is taking in consideration that I am pregnant and due very soon!

In the midst of stressful things happening. I am reminded daily we are still very blessed and have so much to be thankful for. We were blessed by our baby shower thrown for us a few weeks ago in Portland, we were overwhelmed by the many things given to us and the shared joy in our coming arrival. Now we have almost everything we need and are much more ready. We feel so blessed by our friends and family and know that our baby is going to be well loved!

No comments: