Friday, August 26, 2011

For My Parents

Last weekend my parents celebrated their 40th wedding Anniversary.  I wanted to write a blog about them, because they are both amazing people and together make an even more amazing team. My parents may look like Ken and Barbie from the outside, but I know they don't feel perfect and have walked through their  own struggles throughout the last 40 years, but continue to face each day and the uncertainty it brings with grace and love for each other.
I have been watching them my whole life and I have learned many things, how to love others, how to work hard, how to persevere, how to enjoy the little things in life, and how to follow Jesus. My parents have taught me by example that it's how you run the race that is important and that even if the race isn't going well you should keep running and persevere. I think about how I have seen this in  my Dad and how he has fought cancer for the last 11 years and in how my Mom has been by his side as his caregiver each and everyday of those 11 years. I think about my Mom and her abundant kindness and the love she shows him and everyone around her. She is also a fighter and one of the strongest women I know.
I think about how the week before their Anniversary my Dad was in the hospital for 10 day and my Mom slept by his side in a reclining chair every night. She only left the hospital every few days for a quick trip home to freshen up and take a quick break. I think about visiting my Dad in the hospital while he was going through the apheresis procedure to thin his blood. He was looking forward keeping a steady gaze ahead of him trying to keep focused on getting through it. I sat by his side talking to him, not without tears as I hoped (I blame the postnatal hormones or having something in my eye as my dad would say)! He was focused on what he needed to do and was comforting me in my tears. I was suppose to be there for him! I love both of my parents so much. I am so proud of them and the journey they have been on and continue to be on together. They have kept the pace and continue to run together through what each day brings them. I am so grateful for them and that they are my parents, teachers, role models, and friends. Thank you for the example you are to me and so many others. Thank you for never giving up and persevering forward together. Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!WE love you!
  

1 comment:

brownbird said...

SO awesome! I can see where you get your good looks!