Friday, June 01, 2012

Last Day Of Work Done.

Well, yesterday was my last day of work. It was pretty anti-climatic, because I worked from home. No last drive into work, no box of personal items to take pack, no one to take me out to lunch, or for drinks after works. Instead this is how my day went... 6:30 am alarm goes off for Jon to get up for work. Hit the snooze, 6:45am, second alarm goes off, we struggle to get up. I start making Jon's breakfast and lunch and he starts getting ready. Right as he is leaving he gets a text from his boss that says he needs him at the other location, which means he doesn't have to leave for 45 min. We go back to bed and fall asleep for 30 minutes, alarm goes off again, we struggle to get up again. Jon leaves. I wave goodbye. I start the coffee, Zoe wakes up. I change her, I start warming her milk and pour myself some coffee. We sit on the couch under a blanket. I hold her bottle for her with one hand and drink coffee with other hand, we are watching the TODAY show. Zoe is done with her milk and quickly wiggles to get out of my lap. With her feet on the floor she stands next to me half watching the TODAY show half looking for something to touch on the couch. I finish my coffee and pull things out of her hands that she isn't suppose to have, i.e. the TV remote, papers I am going through on the couch, my glasses. I walk into the kitchen and come back to find her licking ketchup off of the plate I forgot to take into the kitchen last night. Ketchup is everywhere, on my computer, on her hands and face, on her pj's, on the couch. I grab the plate and run for a paper towel to clean her up. I learn from this that she likes ketchup! I take her into the kitchen with me. She opens all of the cabinets that she can reach and empties out what looks interesting. She is also using an empty laundry basket as a walker to move from one side of the room to another. I am making her breakfast, scrambled eggs. This morning we are also eating sausage patties, oh and blueberries. I finished the eggs, grab items from her that she isn't suppose to have: an envelope, a piece of the door molding she managed to break off and almost put into her mouth. I put her into her high chair, give her some food, I eat some too and then she starts clearing her tray one piece at a time by throwing it onto the floor, she does this when she needs a drink or is bored or done. I clean up the mess with the broom, this has to be done while she is in the high chair or she will chase after it to touch it or eat whatever is on the floor. I finish sweeping, wash her hands and face and throw the pile of dishes and tray into the ever mounting pile of dishes from the day before. I didn't have time to get to them yet. I take her into her room and change her and close the door to rock her and give her her milk. She drank it all. Jon calls and we talk to him, Zoe is laughing at his contact picture on my iphone and whenever she hears his voice. I put her in her bed and finish talking to Jon. I warm up more milk, because I can hear that she is not sleeping. I go pick her back up and feed her more milk, she finished the bottle again. She not moving, but is looking at the ceiling or wall, or something behind me. Her eyes flutter, she opens them and looks at the ceiling again. She is tenacious. Of all of the days I need her to go to sleep, this is the one she decides to go off of schedule. I have about 25 things on my to-do list and none of them are getting done, I am trying to be okay with this. An hour and a half later, she finally is asleep. I grabbed the baby monitor, computer, coffee, and two cookies and a banana (I'm starving) and head for my office in the basement. I start chipping away at my to-do list. Three hours later I hear Jon's car pull up. I wave from the window, while I'm still looking at the computer. Jon comes into the office, we talk a little, I am trying to finish one more thing, and then I go up stairs with him. I have to pee, I haven't peed in the last four hours and I am dying, because of all of the coffee I had. Zoe wakes up from us coming upstairs. Jon holds Zoe, I make us sandwiches, his is "to-go", and mine is on a plate. I also warm up more milk. Jon gives us kisses and leaves for school about 30 minutes after he got home. We wave goodbye from the window, Zoe waves this time. We go back inside and sit under the blanket I feed her milk until she wiggles to get down. I start eating my sandwich and she wants a bite. We finish my sandwich and then head to the car to take final work stuff to the post office and to return the movie that is three days late. I am in my sweats, not my best look, but at this point I don't care, but I do make sure I am wearing a bra! We go and come back. I give Zoe more food in her high chair, while I finish work. At 6:45pm I finally finish my list. I am wrecked and now have to think about what we are going to have for dinner. I am brain-dead, Zoe is not. I decide to order pizza with a Groupon we bought awhile ago. I didn't want to over spend, but I also didn't want to cook. I load Zoe into the car and we head off and picked up the pizza. I remember to go to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription, I had called it in a week ago. We got there they had to fill it again. We wondered the store and found the basket of rubber balls I show them to Zoe she laughs and spanks it to make funny sounds. I decide to buy it for her she holds it as we walk through the store, laughing and spanking it! I have to laugh too. I bought a bottle of wine and some Milk Duds for Jon and I. My prescription is done, we pay for everything and leave. We got home. I have my arms full trying to carry Zoe, the pizza, and the pharmacy bags into the house, I promise her I will not drop her. We got in the house in one piece and in one trip. I set her down to play and get dinner on a plate for us. She sat in her high chair, I sat in the chair next to her and we listened to Pandora station- Of Monsters and Men. She laughs and dances as she is eating. She throws the food on the floor. I clean her and the floor. Then I fill her bath tub with water, she screams, because she wants down and wants into her bath. I make her wait until it's ready. I undress her and bathe her and tell her "sit on your bottom" about 30 times. She is flinging water everywhere with the wash cloth. I take it away, she cries, bath time is done! I put her into her pj's and feed her another bottle of milk and hand her her "Softie" to snuggle. She finishes her bottle and snuggles in with her eyes closed. I kiss her head and put her into her bed and clean up her bath and wash her cloth diaper off in the toilet. I hear Jon drive up. He comes in with a smile on his face saying, "I'm home early to celebrate your last day of work!" I smile and we hug. I heat him up some pizza and we go sit on the couch. I drink some wine. We are watching TV and both of us are on our lap-tops. Two hours and two TV episodes later we go to bed, both of us are out in a few minutes. The day is finally done.

This is how much of how May went for us. I am exhausted. Jon is exhausted. Zoe is not! We got through it. Today is June 1st, a new month, a new day, a new season, and no more "work" on top of the work at home for me. I couldn't be more relieved. I think it is going to take me a couple of weeks to unwind from the stress of this last year and last month in particular. I am so grateful for Jon, for taking on more, so I could have less on my plate. I feel so blessed to have him. I might one day share more about how this transition all came about, but for now, I am going to do the recommended sleep when your baby sleeps, because I can!

1 comment:

Ali Winter said...

totally sounds like a lot of my days, just with four kids and homeschooling instead of work stuff ;) It is a crazy life. I am so glad you get to be home now. SLEEP!!!! and when you are rested, come visit me!!